Friday, November 11, 2011

A Victims Voice

Lately there has been so much going on in schools and public regarding bullying. I hate it very much as I was taunted, ridiculed and bullied growing up. From being brown skinned, to having big hair to being hard of hearing; I, fortunately, did not have it as bad as some kids do today. We hear so often about kids committing suicide because of the bullying and hatred.

I recently listened to a story on the radio about a family that lost their son to suicide because of bullying. Their son was only 15 years old and he wrote in his suicide letter "what needs to happen for people to be a part of the better parts of the world versus being a part of the hate and bigotry?"

After hearing this I was moved and inspired to write something for the him and victims of bullying. I wrote this and thought that if I shared maybe people would think I was suicidal but I can assure you I am not. I simply wrote what I felt a victim would say in general to a bully or to the public regarding their story. I think what people should take from this poem/short story is that we all can make change and we all can be a part of greatness versus darkness.

A Victims Voice

Had you not jeered me from the start

Maybe than I wouldn’t be seared with eternal scars

Secrets and memories fill my past

Some run jaggedly deep

Most I quietly keep

Flashbacks roll in and out of me like a troubled sea

Had you realized the enormity of your soul- destructive behavior against me

Maybe than I would have a different reality

My journey wouldn’t have ended so suddenly

It’d leave my family free of tragedy

The world has enough judgment and hate

Unfortunately for me

You decided to be a part of its revolving doors

Callously you took aim at me

Like it was your Sunday chores

Your cruel words were the reason behind my endless tears

You used yours hands to hurt me instead of befriend me

You mere presence became the worst of my fears

I could speak of many more things that you have done

But it is in the past and unlike me you have a future

What will you do to change to be a part of the better kind?



No comments:

Post a Comment